Wallpaper has serious potential in home decoration. In today’s post, we’ll share our 9 tips on choosing the best wallpaper for your living room. Read on to discover the benefits of each wallpaper type and potential combinations.
Here are the most important elements to consider when choosing elegant wallpaper for your living room:
- Décor style. First and foremost, you need to think about the overall style of your living room. What’s your style? Modern, classic, rustic, minimalist or eclectic? Choose wallpaper that complements your existing style – or the one you want to emulate.
- Colour and pattern. Go for colours and patterns that suit your personal taste and work with the ambience you want to create in the room. Neutral colours lend a sense of elegance and versatility, whilst subtle patterns or geometric prints will add sophistication and character to the room.
- The dimensions of the space. You need to think about the amount of space you’re working with when choosing your wallpaper. Larger-scale patterns work particularly well in larger spaces. Whereas in smaller rooms, smaller-scale patterns are your best bet, since they make the space feel larger.
- Type of wallpaper. There are various types of wallpaper on the market: vinyl, fabric or textured wallpaper. Choose the one that works for you, in line with the level of maintenance you’re prepared to put into it. We’ll take a look at the advantages of each later in the post to make things easier for you.
Skins Empyreal Moon Saphire wallpaper by L’Antic Colonial.
- Lighting. Lighting can affect the look of the colours in the wallpaper. As natural or artificial light changes throughout the day, you’ll notice a difference in the look of the hues.
- Wallpaper samples. It’s always a good idea to get samples of wallpaper before making your final decision. Place the samples on the wall and get a feel for how they look in your space, thinking about how they work with your existing furniture and décor.
- Children. If you have children in the house, vinyl or washable wallpaper makes a great choice. Either way, it’s important to choose wallpaper that’s hard-wearing and easy to clean, as well as stylish.
- Get some help from the professionals. Have you attempted to hang wallpaper before? If experience is lacking, it’s a good idea to enlist the help of professionals. Getting the wallpaper hung well from the start means you’ll avoid any issues with the look and longevity of the wallpaper in the future.
- Coherence. Make sure you choose wallpaper that works with your living room as a whole, complementing the furniture, curtains, textiles and decorative elements.
Skins Empyreal Moon Light wallpaper by L’Antic Colonial.
Advantages of vinyl and non-woven wallpaper
Cellulose paper comes with limitations when compared with more resistant materials like non-woven and vinyl wallpaper. Next, we’ll look at the key benefits of these two materials:
– Easy installation. First, you paste the walls with Skins Fix adhesive by Butech, and then affix the roll of wallpaper to the newly glued base. This means you don’t need a professional to paste the paper as well (other more traditional wallpaper types need adhesive to be applied to both the base and the wall).
– Easy to clean. Unlike other wallpapers, you can wash any marks on non-woven wallpaper with a damp cloth and soapy water. Washing it doesn’t deteriorate the paper in any way, so it’s easy to remove any stains and dust. Vinyl wallpaper is even easier to clean.
– Resistance. Vinyl wallpaper is more resistant to sunlight than non-woven wallpaper, thanks to the technical properties of the top layer.
Generally speaking, elegant living room wallpaper improves the acoustics of the room. These quality materials and textures can actually reduce echoes and improve sound quality in the space.
Another advantage of wallpaper is that you can use it to hide imperfections like cracks, stains or irregularities on the surface of the wall. Unlike painting, wallpaper will give you a uniform, attractive surface.
Wallpaper tends to keep its appearance intact for much longer than paint. It’s also highly resistant to stains and daily wear and tear, making it ideal for areas like living rooms.
Skins Empyreal Spike Clear wallpaper by L’Antic Colonial I
Elegant wallpaper can transform a space. And it’s been doing it for decades, ever since it was first used on the walls of homes and palaces.
The designs have of course evolved over time, and there are now endless styles available. From intricate patterns with a Victorian influence to minimalist prints. The potential for colour combinations and wallpaper patterns is endless.
Living room wallpaper also boasts another important function: you can use it to visually divide broad, open spaces. Zone different areas with different wallpaper designs or materials, creating a sense of visual separation. For example, you could hang wallpaper on one wall and use wall tiles or paint on another.
Or, you could wallpaper the living room and use ceramic wall tiles in the fireplace area.
It’s also important to think about the location of your home. It wouldn’t make much sense to use dark wallpaper on the walls of your summer house living room. Think about your chosen overall living room interior design scheme and opt for decorative elements that either tie in with the wallpaper or contrast with it.
In short, living room wallpaper is a versatile and dynamic choice when decorating this space. It offers a wealth of scope in design, but if you want to get it right, you should always think about the colour, size of the room and your own personal preferences.
Skins Mural Sunrise Emerald by L’Antic Colonial.
Skins Empyreal Dots Grey by L’Antic Colonial
Skins Ficus Coal by L’Antic Colonial.